Ready for a treat that melts in your mouth? Try making Nanaimo Bars. This dessert is a triple-layered wonder of sweetness. You'll love its creamy middle and chocolaty top. Stick around to find out how easy it is to make.
Nanaimo Bars are a hit all year round but get extra attention during the holidays. For another treat that's perfect for special occasions, check out my Pecan Pie Bars.
PREFER TO WATCH INSTEAD OF READ?
- Cocoa powder
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Roasted almonds
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Custard powder
- Powdered sugar
- Dark chocolate
See the recipe card for quantities.
Make the Bottom Layer
Melt butter over low heat. Stir in sugar, cocoa powder, and salt.
Egg and Extras
Add a beaten egg and whisk until thick. Add almonds, graham crumbs, and coconut.
Press and Chill
Press mixture into an 8-inch pan. Put it in the fridge.
Make Middle Layer
Cream butter and custard powder. Add powdered sugar and cream. Spread over bottom layer.
Make Top Layer
Melt chocolate. Add butter. Pour over the middle layer.
Cut and Enjoy
Take the bars out of the mold. Cut them into squares.
Hint: Press each layer well for the best texture. This ensures every bite has a bit of all three layers.
For a gluten-free version, use gluten-free graham cracker crumbs.
- Add mint extract to the middle layer for a minty twist.
- Use white chocolate for the top layer.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. For longer storage, freeze them.
Don't rush the chilling time. It helps the layers set properly.
Yes, but it'll be sweeter.
No, you can skip them or use walnuts.
Use plant-based butter and egg substitutes.
Beat it well until it's light.
Unsweetened cocoa powder is best.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
35g Cocoa Powder
175g Graham Cracker Crumbs
80g Roasted Almonds
75g Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
Step 1 - Bottom Layer
- Melt the butter over low heat.
- Add sugar, cocoa powder, and salt off the heat.
- Mix in the beaten egg.
- Put the mix back on low heat and whisk until thick.
- Add roasted almonds, graham cracker crumbs, and coconut off the heat.
- Spread the mix in an 8-inch pan lined with parchment.
- Press the mix to make it even.
- Put the pan in the fridge.
Step 2 - Middle Layer
- Cream butter and custard powder in a stand mixer.
- Add sifted powdered sugar when fluffy.
- Mix in cream to get a smooth texture.
- Put this mix over the bottom layer in the pan.
- Smooth it out to make it even.
- Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Step 3 - Top Layer
- Melt the chocolate in a water bath.
- Mix in the butter.
- Pour this mix over the middle layer in the pan.
- Smooth it out.
- Put the pan in the fridge for 15 minutes.
Step 4 - Finishing Touches
- Take the dessert out of the mold.
- Cut it into squares.
- Enjoy your Nanaimo Bars.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No-bake
- Cuisine: Canadian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Use fresh ingredients.
- Make sure to chill properly to prevent spoilage.