Dive into the heavenly taste of Apple Donut Holes with this amazing recipe that's perfect for satisfying your sweet cravings. Easy to make and irresistibly delicious, these tempting donuts are a must-try. Read on to learn how to bring the magic of apple and cinnamon to your kitchen!
Apple Donut Holes are a delightful treat especially cherished during the fall season when apples are in abundance. They make a perfect addition to festive gatherings and holiday breakfasts. If you're looking for another innovative donut recipe, why not try Oven-baked Donuts? Lighter and equally scrumptious, this link will take you to a guilt-free alternative that's perfect for any occasion.
PREFER TO WATCH INSTEAD OF READ?
- White Vinegar
- Baking Powder
- Vanilla Extract
- Vegetable Oil for frying
See recipe card for quantities.
Prepare Donut Batter
Mix dry and wet ingredients, add applesauce, and refrigerate.
Prepare for Frying
Mix sugar and cinnamon, pour oil into the saucepan, and preheat the oil to 350°F
Use an oiled spoon or pastry bag to scoop the batter.
Fry the scooped batter until golden brown and trim if desired.
Roll in Cinnamon Sugar
Drain excess oil and roll in cinnamon sugar while hot.
Serve fresh and warm.
Hint: Fry the donuts in small batches, maintaining the oil temperature at 350°F. Overcrowding may lower the temperature, leading to soggy donuts, while too hot oil can burn them quickly. Consistency is key to achieving that perfect golden brown exterior.
- For a dairy-free version, you can substitute regular milk with almond or soy milk.
- You can use whole wheat flour for a more wholesome texture.
- Add nutmeg or apple pie spice for a richer flavor profile.
- Dip the donuts in chocolate glaze instead of cinnamon sugar for a decadent twist.
- Mixing bowls: To mix dry and wet ingredients separately.
- Whisk: For whisking eggs, sugar, and vanilla until fluffy.
- Measuring cups and spoons: To measure ingredients accurately.
- Plastic wrap: To cover the bowl before refrigerating the batter.
- Saucepan: For frying the donuts.
- Cooking Thermometer: To check the oil temperature.
- Ice cream scoop: To form donut holes.
- Cooling Rack/Paper towels: To drain excess oil from fried donuts.
Most Useful Equipment
If you have to choose one, a Saucepan is the most important. You can't fry donuts without it.
Store Apple Donut Holes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or refrigerate for up to a week.
Ensure the batter consistency is just right, not too runny or too thick, to get the perfect shape and texture. Follow the measurements carefully.
Unsweetened applesauce works well.
Yes, for a wholesome texture.
Store in an airtight container.
Yes, for up to 3 months.
Vegetable oil or canola oil is ideal.
Use gluten-free flour as a substitute.
Substitute eggs with flax eggs and use non-dairy milk.
Yes, nutmeg or apple pie spice is great.
Use a cooking thermometer.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
70g (5 tbsp) Applesauce
140ml (4.7 oz) Milk
10ml (2 tsp) White Vinegar
300g (14 oz) Flour
10g (2 tsp) Baking Powder
2g (⅓ tsp) Salt
2 (x) Eggs
150g (5.25 oz) Sugar
5ml (1 tsp) Vanilla Extract
- Mix in a bowl, the flour, baking powder, and salt & set aside
- Start by mixing milk and vinegar & set aside
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract for about 5 minutes or until the mixture gets light and doubles in volume
- Add the applesauce
- Add the dry ingredients in 3 times while alternating with the milk
- When the batter is homogeneous refrigerate for 30 minutes
- In a bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon
- Put the cinnamon sugar on a plate
- Pour the oil into your saucepan until it gets to 2 inches from the bottom
- Preheat the oil to 350°F
- Use an oiled ice cream spoon of the capacity of 1tbsp to scoop your batter
- In our case we had one too big so we used a pastry bag to fill half of the spoon - You don’t need to be this extra! Just put the equivalent of 1 tablespoon of batter in the hot oil
- Bake for about 3-4 minutes or until the donuts get golden brown
- Don’t forget to turn them so both sides are cooked!
- To make them perfect we used scissors to cut off the excess - Once again, this is not essential, but we are perfectionists xD
- When these are baked to perfection put them on absorbent paper to collect the excess oil
- Then roll them in the cinnamon sugar while they are still hot!
- We highly recommend trying them fresh and still warm! That’s when they are at their best!
- Enjoy 🙂
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Apple Donuts, Donut Holes, Homemade Donuts, Applesauce Donuts, Frying Donuts, Cinnamon Sugar, Easy Donut Recipe
- Maintain proper oil temperature.
- Don't over-crowd the pan while frying.
- Be cautious when frying, the oil is hot and can cause burns.
- Store leftovers properly to avoid spoilage.