Looking for the perfect treat? Try Strawberry Filled Donuts! They're sweet, fluffy, and filled with homemade jam. Trust me, you won't stop at one.
PREFER TO WATCH INSTEAD OF READ?
- Dry instant yeast
- Vanilla Extract
- Egg yolks
- Lemon Juice
See recipe card for quantities.
Prepare the Dough
Put everything except butter in a stand mixer. Don't let yeast touch salt and sugar. Use less flour at first. Mix it, and if it's sticky, add more flour. The dough should be soft but not sticky. Add the soft butter pieces and mix for 5 minutes. Knead it on a counter until it's soft and a bit stretchy. Make a ball and put it in an oiled bowl. Cover it and let it sit in a warm, humid place for 1 hour.
Make Strawberry Jam
Blend strawberries into a puree. Then, put all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring them to a boil. Let it simmer until it becomes thick. Finally, transfer it to a bowl and cool it in the fridge.
Shape the Donuts
After 1 hour, your dough should double in size. Roll the dough out to be about 2cm thick. Then, use a cookie cutter that's 8-9cm wide to cut shapes from the dough. Place these shapes on a baking sheet, cover them, and let them sit for another hour.
Fry the Donuts
Heat canola oil to 350°F. Fry each side of the dough pieces for 2-4 minutes until they turn golden. Then, let them cool on a wire rack.
Fill the Donuts
Use a small knife to make a hole in each donut. Then, put jam into a pastry bag and fill the donuts until they feel heavy.
Sprinkle powdered sugar on top and enjoy.
Hint: Make sure the oil is at the right temperature. Too hot and your donuts will burn. Too cool and they'll be greasy.
Use almond milk and vegan butter to make it dairy-free.
Try filling with blueberry or raspberry jam. Or dust with cinnamon sugar instead of powdered sugar.
The can last up to 2 days in an airtight container.
Keep an eye on the jam. It shouldn't be too runny or too thick.
To make fluffier donuts, make sure your yeast is fresh and let the dough rise in a warm, humid place.
Yes, you can use frozen strawberries. Just thaw them first and drain excess water.
These donuts are best fresh but can last up to 2 days in an airtight container.
Yes, you can freeze the donuts without the powdered sugar. Thaw before eating.
Use a cooking thermometer to make sure the oil is at 350F.
You can knead the dough by hand, but it will take more time and effort.
Use a pastry bag with a narrow tip to fill the donuts easily.
If your jam is too runny, cook it for a few more minutes until it thickens.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
8g Dry Instant Yeast
5ml Vanilla Extract
2 Egg Yolks
Step 1 - Make the Dough
- Add all ingredients except butter to a stand mixer with a hook.
- Keep yeast away from salt and sugar before mixing.
- Start with less flour and add more if needed.
- Mix. Add flour if the dough is sticky.
- Dough should be soft but not sticky.
- Add room-temp butter cubes. Mix until blended.
- Mix for 5 minutes.
- Knead on counter until dough is soft and a bit stretchy.
- Form a ball, put in an oiled bowl.
- Cover. Let rise for 1 hour in a warm, humid place.
Step 2 - Make Strawberry Jam
- Blend strawberries into puree.
- Add all ingredients to saucepan. Boil.
- Simmer until thick.
- Put in bowl. Cool in fridge.
Step 3 - Shape Donuts
- Dough should double in size after 1 hour.
- Roll out dough to 2cm thick.
- Cut with 8-9cm cookie cutter.
- Place on baking sheet. Cover for 1 more hour.
Step 4 - Fry Donuts
- Heat canola oil to 350F.
- Fry each side for 2-4 minutes until golden.
- Cool on wire rack.
Step 5 - Fill Donuts
- Make a hole in each donut with a small knife.
- Put jam in a pastry bag.
- Fill donuts until heavy.
Step 6 - Add Final Touch
- Sprinkle powdered sugar.
Simple and easy to follow, these steps should help you make tasty Strawberry Filled Donuts!
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Ensure the oil is at the right temperature before frying.