Savor homemade Cinnamon Sugar Donuts: a mouthwatering delight with warm cinnamon flavors and a fluffy, irresistible texture that will leave you craving more. Perfect for special holiday breakfast, snack, or dessert, these treats are simply fan-freaking-tastic.
Cinnamon Sugar Donuts are a beloved treat associated with fall and winter. They bring comfort and evoke nostalgic memories of gatherings with loved ones. Enjoy them on a chilly morning or serve them at a holiday party for a guaranteed hit.
Prefer To Watch Instead Of Read?
Ingredients for Cinnamon Sugar Donuts
- Melted Butter
- Baking Powder
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions to make these Cinnamon Sugar Donuts
Prepare the Dough: Beat eggs, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and melted butter. Mix in flour, baking powder, and milk. Chill dough for 30 minutes.
Shape the Dough into Donuts: Roll out chilled dough. Cut large circles with a cookie cutter, then smaller circles for the holes. Repeat with leftover dough. Arrange donuts on a baking tray and set aside the holes.
Heat the Shortening: In a saucepan, heat shortening to 350°F (175°C) for frying.
Fry the Donuts: Carefully fry a few donuts at a time until golden on each side (about 1 minute per side). Place the fried donuts on a cooling rack lined with paper towels to drain excess shortening.
Prepare and Apply the Coating: Mix sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. While the donuts are still warm, roll them in the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat evenly.
Cool and Serve: Let the donuts cool before serving, or enjoy them warm. Uncoated donuts can be frozen for later use.
For dietary preferences, here are some substitutions for this recipe:
- Dairy-free: Use plant-based milk like almond or soy milk instead of dairy milk.
Note that these substitutions may affect the texture and taste slightly, so adjust and experiment to find your preferred version.
Customizing your Cinnamon Sugar Donuts can add a fun and personalized touch. Here are some ideas:
- Add vanilla extract or lemon zest to the dough for extra flavor.
- Try different coatings like powdered sugar, chocolate glaze, or caramel drizzle.
- Explore alternative shapes like donut holes or donut sticks.
- Add chopped nuts like pecans or almonds for added texture.
Get creative and enjoy making your unique version of these delicious donuts!
To make these donuts successfully, it's useful to have the following equipment:
- Mixing Bowls (Large): To mix both wet and dry ingredients.
- Whisk: For whipping eggs and sugar and mixing ingredients.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons: For precise ingredient measurements.
- Rolling Pin: To roll out the dough.
- Cookie Cutters: To cut out the donut shape and holes.
- Baking Tray: To place the cut-out donuts before frying.
- Saucepan: For frying the donuts.
- Cooking Thermometer: To check the temperature of the shortening.
- Cooling Rack: To drain and cool down the donuts.
Most Useful Equipment: Saucepan is most important, as it's needed for the frying process which gives donuts their texture.
Having these tools will ensure the best results when making your Cinnamon Sugar Donuts.
To store your Cinnamon Sugar Donuts:
- Allow them to cool completely.
- Place them in an airtight container.
- At room temperature, they will stay fresh for up to 2 days.
If you want to enjoy them later:
- Freeze the donuts without the cinnamon sugar coating.
- When ready to eat, thaw the donuts.
- Roll them in the cinnamon sugar mixture for a fresh coating.
- Reheat them a little bit in the oven to help the coating stick to the donut.
- Frozen donuts can be stored for up to 3 months.
To achieve perfect Cinnamon Sugar Donuts, it's essential to maintain a consistent oil temperature during frying. Follow these steps:
- Use a candy thermometer to monitor the oil temperature.
- Keep the heat at a steady 350°F (175°C) throughout the frying process.
- Adjust the heat as needed to maintain the desired temperature.
- Frying the donuts at the right temperature ensures a golden-brown exterior and a fluffy interior.
By paying attention to the oil temperature, you'll achieve deliciously fried Cinnamon Sugar Donuts.
Yes, vegetable oil can be used instead of shortening. However, shortening provides a more authentic flavor and texture.
A deep fryer can be used as an alternative to a saucepan for frying the donuts.
Yes, you can substitute margarine for butter in this recipe.
This recipe is specifically designed for frying. Baking may result in a different texture and taste.
Try these too!
2 x - 100g Eggs
1cup - 200g Sugar
1 tbsp - 8g Cinnamon
¼tsp - 1g Nutmeg
3 tbsp - 45g Melted Butter
4cup to 41/2 - 480g to 540g Flour
2tsp - 8g Baking Powder
1cup - 240ml Milk
2 blocks - 900g Shortening
1cup - 200g Sugar
1-2tbsp - 8-15g Cinnamon ( To your liking)
Step 1 - Preparing the Dough
1. In a bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until they become fluffy and light.
2. Add in the cinnamon and nutmeg and mix.
3. Add the melted butter to the egg mixture.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the flour and baking powder.
5. Add one-third of the flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix until it's almost fully incorporated.
6. Pour in half of the milk and continue mixing.
7. Add another one-third of the flour mixture and mix again.
8. Pour in the remaining milk.
9. Finally, add the remaining one-third of the flour mixture.
10. Keep mixing until the dough comes together. It should be slightly sticky but not runny.
11. If needed, you can add more flour to adjust the texture.
12. Wrap the dough and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes.
Step 2 - Shaping the Donuts
1. Remove the dough from the refrigerator. It should be less sticky now.
2. Roll out the dough on a counter or flat surface.
3. Use a cookie cutter to cut circles out of the dough.
4. Use a small cookie cutter (such as the cap of a small bottle) to cut out the center hole of each donut.
5. You can gather the leftover dough and reroll it to make more donuts.
6. Place the cut-out donuts on a baking tray, and keep the donut holes in a separate bowl for later use.
Step 3 - Frying the Donuts
1. Heat the shortening in a saucepan until it reaches 350°F (175°C).
2. Carefully place a few donuts in the hot shortening to fry.
3. After approximately 1minute, the donuts should turn golden. Flip them to fry the other side.
4. Fry for another 30-40 seconds, until both sides are golden.
5. Remove the fried donuts from the saucepan and place them on a cooling rack with paper towels underneath to catch any excess shortening.
Step 4 - The Coating
1. In a bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon
2. When the donut come out of the the oil. wait 5-10 seconds and roll into the cinnamon sugar
3. Repeat the frying and coating process with the remaining donuts and donut holes.
4. Allow the donuts to cool down before serving, or enjoy them while they're still warm.
5. If you prefer, you can freeze the donuts for later consumption ( Preferably without coating them )
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: cinnamon sugar donuts, homemade donuts, frying donuts, donut recipe, cinnamon coating, easy donuts, dough preparation, kitchen equipment for donuts
- Be cautious when handling hot shortening for frying to avoid burns. Use kitchen tongs or a slotted spoon.
- Store the donuts properly in an airtight container to prevent contamination or spoilage.
- If you have food allergies or dietary restrictions, check ingredient labels and modify the recipe accordingly.
With this recipe and these safety tips, you're ready to create homemade Cinnamon Sugar Donuts. Enjoy the process and the enticing aroma of warm cinnamon as you share this sweet treat with loved ones or savor it for yourself.