Craving something sweet and creamy? Pastel De Nata is the perfect treat for you. Easy to make, these Portuguese tarts are a bite of heaven. Stick around to learn how to make them.
For this recipe, We've got the Perfect Puff Pastry Recipe for you!
PREFER TO WATCH INSTEAD OF READ?
- Puff Pastry (recipe)
- Melted Butter
- Egg Yolks
- Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Pod
See recipe card for quantities.
Prep the Pastry
Roll out puff pastry into a square. Spread melted butter. Roll it up, chill, then cut.
Mold the Dough
Place dough slices in muffin cups. Shape with fingers. Chill.
Boil milk, sugar, and vanilla. Mix egg, sugar, and cornstarch in a separate bowl. Combine and boil.
Fill and Bake
Fill cups with custard. Bake until golden.
Use broil if tops aren’t golden.
Remove from oven and enjoy.
Hint: For the best flavor, use vanilla pod or high-quality vanilla extract. It makes a difference.
For a lactose-free option, use almond milk, dairy-free butter and puff pastry.
Add cinnamon or lemon zest to the custard for a twist.
A muffin tin and a saucepan are key.
Store in an airtight container. Freezing is not recommended.
Don’t overfill the custard. It will puff up and may overflow.
Yes, store-bought works well.
Whole milk gives the creamiest texture.
Substitutions are tricky; it’s not recommended.
Tarts will be golden and crispy.
Up to 2 days in an airtight container.
Yes, but add it after baking.
You may have undercooked it.
Yes, granulated sugar works.
Microwave in short bursts.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
250g Puff Pastry
15g Melted Butter
4 Egg Yolks
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Step 1 - Roll Out & Cut | Puff Pastry
- Roll puff pastry into a 33cm square.
- Spread a thin layer of butter on it.
- Roll into a tight cylinder.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Cut into 2cm pieces. Put back in fridge.
Step 2 - Prepare the Dough
- Put slices in muffin mold cups.
- Use fingers to shape dough into the mold.
- Chill in fridge.
Step 3 - Make Custard
- Boil milk, half the sugar, and vanilla in a saucepan.
- Whisk other half of sugar, eggs, and cornstarch in a bowl.
- Add a bit of warm milk to the egg mix.
- Put everything back in the saucepan. Boil, keep whisking.
Step 4 - Fill & Bake
- Pour hot egg mix into each cup. Leave 1cm at the top.
- Bake at 550°F for 10-15 minutes. Look for golden, crispy dough.
- Use broil to make the top golden if needed.
- Take out and enjoy!
- There you go! Enjoy your tasty pastries! 😃
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Portuguese
- Diet: Vegetarian