Craving something sweet and creamy? Try Crème Brûlée! It’s a French classic that tastes like heaven. You just need a few ingredients. Keep reading to see how easy it is.
PREFER TO WATCH INSTEAD OF READ?
- Vanilla pod
- Egg yolks
See recipe card for quantities.
Start with Vanilla Cream
Heat cream and vanilla pod until almost simmering. Let it sit for a few minutes to soak up the vanilla flavor.
Prepare Egg Mix
Whisk egg yolks and sugar. Keep whisking until sugar melts.
Slowly pour the hot cream into the egg mix. Stir as you pour.
Pour the mix into ramekins. Don’t overfill.
Put ramekins in a water bath. Bake until firm.
Cool down, sprinkle sugar, and torch it.
Hint: Don’t rush the baking. If the inside isn’t set, it ruins the texture.
For a dairy-free version, use coconut cream.
Add a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg for a festive twist.
If you don't have a torch, broil the sugar tops.
Keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. Don’t freeze; it changes the texture.
Get the sugar layer thin and even. It makes the best crust.
Yes, white sugar works best.
It’s better but you can broil.
Yes, but flavor is weaker.
At least 2 hours.
It cooks more evenly.
Yes, for dairy-free.
Yes, but torch just before serving.
Internal temp should be 170-175F.
Yes, naturally gluten-free.
Likely undercooked or overcooked.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
550ml (2 ⅓ cups) Cream 35%
50g (¼ cup) Sugar
1 Vanilla pod
5 Egg yolks
More sugar for the tops
French Crème Brûlée
- Heat cream and vanilla till almost simmering.
- Let it infuse for 10 minutes.
- Whisk yolks and sugar until sugar melts.
- Add vanilla cream to egg mix while stirring.
- Fill ramekins. Don't overfill.
- Place in water bath. Water halfway up ramekin.
- Bake 30-45 mins or until thicker.
- Check temp: 170F-175F is good.
- Cool down fully.
- Add thin sugar layer on top.
- Melt sugar with torch for hard caramel.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: French
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Always cook to the right internal temperature.
- Use fresh cream and eggs.