Craving something sweet and easy to make? Lokma is a fried dough dessert that you'll love. Read on to learn how to make this tasty treat.
PREFER TO WATCH INSTEAD OF READ?
- Instant dry yeast
- Fine salt
- Vegetable oil
- Lemon juice
See recipe card for quantities.
Prepare the Dough
Mix flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in a bowl. Add warm water. Let it sit in a warm place until it doubles in size.
Make the Syrup
Boil sugar, water, and lemon juice. Simmer until it thickens.
Heat the Oil
Heat vegetable oil to 375°F.
Fry the Dough
Put the dough in a pastry bag. Cut small pieces and fry them until golden brown.
Soak in Syrup
Dip the fried dough in syrup for a minute.
Take them out and enjoy your Lokma.
Hint: Make sure the oil is hot but not smoking. This makes your Lokma crispy and golden.
- Use coconut oil for a different flavor.
- Add cinnamon for a spicy twist.
- Dip in chocolate sauce instead of syrup.
A deep fryer works best. If not, use a deep pot. Adjust frying time.
Keep in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Freezing not recommended.
Don't overcrowd the fryer. It keeps Lokma crispy.
Yes, but it may take longer to rise.
Yes, it's vegan-friendly.
About 2 hours, including rising time
No, whole wheat flour will make the Lokma denser. Stick with all-purpose flour for fluffy and light Lokma.
You can store the syrup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
It's best to use vegetable oil. Olive oil has a strong flavor that can overpower the Lokma.
Yeast is key for the fluffy texture. Without it, your Lokma won't be as light and airy.
You can use a ziplock bag with a corner cut off to pipe the dough into the oil.
You can try using plant-based milk for the dough, but the texture might be different.
No, this recipe uses all-purpose flour which contains gluten.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
8g Instant dry yeast
290ml Warm water
5g Fine salt
Vegetable oil, for frying
30ml Lemon juice
Step 1 - Dough
- Mix flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in a bowl.
- Add warm water, mix until elastic.
- Cover, let sit in warm place for 1 ½ hours. Should double in size.
Step 2 - Syrup
- Boil all ingredients.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until syrupy.
Step 3 - Frying
- Heat oil to 375°F.
- Fill pastry bag with dough.
- Cut dough into oil with scissors.
- Fry until golden brown on each side.
- Soak in syrup for a minute.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Turkish
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Make sure to wash your hands.
- Always use a food thermometer to check oil temperature.