If you've got a sweet tooth, then Medovic is for you. This honey-infused cake is creamy, layered, and perfect for any occasion. Get ready to wow your guests with this showstopper!
Medovic is often enjoyed during the holiday season, but it's a treat that can be savored any time of the year. If you love this, you might also like my Kinder No-Bake Cheesecake or Coconut Cream Pie, which are other tasty options for gatherings.
PREFER TO WATCH INSTEAD OF READ?
- Baking Soda
- Sour Cream
- Whipping Cream
See recipe card for quantities.
Making The Burnt Honey
Heat honey in a saucepan until it boils and turns golden brown. Add water to stop overcooking.
Preparing the Cake Batter
Combine burnt honey, honey, sugar, and butter in a water bath. Once warm, add eggs and other dry ingredients like cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
Baking the Layers
Weigh 350g of the batter for each layer and spread it on a baking tray. Bake in a 350°F oven for 6-8 minutes. ( 8 layers)
Shaping Layers and Cake Powder
Cut the baked layers into rectangles. Bake excess cake to make powder for later.
Making the Filling
Combine sour cream and burnt honey. Whip cream in another bowl and fold into the sour cream mixture.
Assembling the Cake
Layer the cake and cream.
Cover the cake with cream
Sprinkle the cake powder on top
This cake was for my Russian mother-in-law's birthday.
Hint: Keep the batter warm while adding eggs and dry ingredients. This ensures a smooth, lump-free batter.
Replace dairy products with their dairy-free counterpart for a dairy free cake.
- Add a sprinkle of nuts between layers.
- Use orange zest in the cream for a citrus twist.
Wrap the cake in plastic wrap. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Freezing not recommended.
Use fresh, high-quality honey. It's the star ingredient and makes all the difference.
Yes, but making burnt honey gives a richer flavor.
This recipe makes 8 layers of cake and cream.
Keep in the fridge, covered, for up to 5 days.
Not recommended, the cream may separate.
Yes, but best to serve immediately.
About 6-8 minutes at 350°F.
Use dairy-free whipping cream and butter.
Make it yourself like we did!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
125g Burnt Honey
3 ¾ tsp Baking Soda
1 ½ tsp Cinnamon
600g Sour Cream
600g Whipping Cream
Step 1 - Making The Burnt Honey
- Boil honey in saucepan.
- Cook until golden brown.
- Add water to stop cooking.
- Set aside.
Step 2 - Burnt Honey Cake Batter
- In water bath, mix burnt honey, honey, sugar, and butter.
- Melt butter in mix.
- Add eggs to warm mix.
- Add cinnamon, baking soda, salt to warm mix.
- Take out of water bath, add flour in 3 parts.
Step 3 - Making and Baking Layers
- Measure 350g batter for each layer (makes 6).
- Grease tray, line with paper.
- Pour and spread batter.
- Bake at 350°F for 6-8 minutes, turn halfway.
- Take out and cool.
Step 4 - Shaping Layers and Cake Powder
- Cut each sheet in two for 8x11 inch cake.
- Use extra cake for powder, bake 10 more minutes.
- Cool and grind to powder.
Step 5 - Burnt Honey and Sour Cream Filling
- Mix sour cream and burnt honey.
- Whip cream in another bowl.
- Fold in sour cream mix.
Step 6 - Making the Cake
- Place first cake layer on pad.
- Add thin cream layer.
- Add another cake layer.
- Repeat for 8 cake and 8 cream layers.
- Coat cake with cream.
- Add recooked cake powder.
- Better the next day!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Russian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Ensure all dairy products are fresh.
- Always wash your hands and surfaces before starting.