Craving a sweet treat? These Molasses Cookies are your answer. They are easy to make and so tasty. Keep reading to find out how to make them at home.
PREFER TO WATCH INSTEAD OF READ?
- Brown sugar
- Baking Soda
See recipe card for quantities.
Mix the Base
First, mix margarine and brown sugar. Add a beaten egg and molasses.
Prep the Dry Ingredients
Mix baking soda in water. Add it to milk. Mix ginger with some flour.
Mix the milk and flour into your first mix. Add more flour if it’s too sticky.
Roll the Dough
Roll out your dough. Cut cookies with a cutter.
Put cookies on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 350F.
Take them out. Let them cool. Enjoy.
Hint: Make sure your baking soda is fresh. Old baking soda can make your cookies flat.
- Use almond milk for a dairy-free option.
- Add chocolate chips for extra sweetness.
- Add a sprinkle of sea salt on top before baking for a salty twist.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Freezing is possible. Just wrap them well.
Don’t over-mix the dough. It can make your cookies tough.
To make soft and chewy Molasses Cookies, don’t overbake them. Take them out of the oven when the edges are set but the center is still soft.
Yes, you can use the same amount of butter instead of margarine. The texture may be a bit different but still tasty.
If your cookies are flat, your baking soda might be old. Make sure it's fresh for better results.
Replace the egg with a flaxseed egg and use plant-based milk. Make sure to also use vegan margarine.
Yes, freeze the dough in a tight wrap for up to 3 months. Bake from frozen, adding a few more minutes to the cook time.
Use unsulphured molasses for the best flavor. It's less processed and tastes better.
Look for a golden edge and a soft center. Don’t overbake; they will firm up as they cool.
Yes, feel free to add about 1 cup of your favorite extras like nuts or chocolate chips.
Apart from ginger, you can add cinnamon, nutmeg, or cloves for more flavor.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
200g Brown sugar
2 tsp (8g) Baking Soda
1 tsp (2g) Ginger
Step 1 - Make the Dough
- Combine margarine and brown sugar
- Beat an egg and add it
- Mix in molasses
- Add baking soda to milk, dissolve it in water first
- Mix ginger with a small amount of flour
- Add milk and flour to the main mix, alternate them
- If dough is too sticky to roll, add more flour
Step 2 - Shape and Bake Cookies
- Roll the dough and cut shapes with a cookie cutter
- Place on a baking sheet
- Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Wash your hands before cooking.
- Make sure your egg is fresh.